1. TECHNICAL ASSISTANT - Part Time CURRENT STATUS: FILLED
2. PETROLOGY TECHNICIAN - Part Time CURRENT STATUS: FILLED
3. VOLCANO TECHNICIAN - Part Time CURRENT STATUS: ONE (1) OPENING
As part of our Educational Outreach & Opportunities programme, INTLVRC is sometimes looking for a 1st to 2nd year college student, preferably enrolled in a geosciences programme, or a scholarly high schooler (2nd semester 10th grade or higher & must have completed Earth Sciences course or equivalent) to work with sophisticated equipment, perform necessary computer tasks involving volcanoes, participate in expeditions from time-to-time, and perform basic analysis on data. Students should live in the near Apache Junction, Arizona USA or surrounding area. Check here often for current openings as they may occur. If interested call (480) 671-1601 or(480) 202-3408 (Cell) or e-mail us at [email protected] or [email protected] for further details. These are Part-Time positions and applies to the positions of Volcano Technician, Technical Assistant & Petrology Technician.
The Technical Assistant may perform the following duties:
1. Prepare equipment for expeditions.
2. Record data readings under the direction of the Volcano Technician.
3. Act as radio operator to transmit (by voice) data readings.
4. May participate in domestic expeditions only as they occur.
5. Assist other INTLVRC staff members in the taking of readings of data collected.
6. Move equipment as necessary from one point to another.
The Petrology Technician may perform the following duties:
1. Perform various tests on igneous rocks (lava samples).
2. Record data readings on the computer.
3. Maintain the INTLVRC lava sample database.
4. Perform Full Petrology Analysis on selected volcanoes using collected data.
5. May cross-train into a Volcano Technician, if wish, and perform same duties therein as well.
The Volcano Technician may perform any one of the following duties:
1. Seismic reporting input to "Volquake" software package once a month.
2. Updates to "Therm Prob" software package once a week.
3. Updates to "Volcano of the Month" profiles once a month.
4. Updates to "Volcano Profiles" as necessary.
5. Servicing of technical field equipment (replacing batteries, minor calibrations, etc.)
6. Other data entry requirements, as necessary and as directed, to INTLVRC related files and/or programmes.
7. Maintain the "Lava Samples" database as necessary.
8. May participate in domestic and international expeditions as they occur.
9. Assist other INTLVRC staff members in the taking of readings of data collected.
10. Use INTLVRC instruments to collect data as necessary and as directed.
11. Set-up field equipment as necessary (e.g., tripods, lasers, range markers, etc.).
12. Act as radio operator to transmit (by voice) data readings.
13. Utilize INTLVRC software packages to assist in the analysis of collected data, e.g., CONFLOW, HEAT, MAGMA, VISCOSITY, EJECT !, PHM & CSD, as necessary.
(Return To INTLVRC Home Page).